Thursday, June 19, 2008

June 19th 2008

Ayla's mom has gone for a small trip and Ayla is getting to stay with me. We have had a good time so far. We like to stay home but sometimes of course it's necessary to leave the house and do errands. So to bribe Ayla I offered that we would get Chinese food. She liked that idea but she still got upset whenever we had to go. Crying and saying she didn't want to go. I dread those moments when she acts up like that. I think the forth year is difficult. Oh, not for the children, they are in their element, but for the grown-up caretakers. The personality and spirit of the 4 four year old young soul is unfolding. Always pushing the limits. Constantly throwing out her arms in wild abandonment. So wild and unexpectedly that most often the toes of one land upon feet of another or a slung arm knocks out the salad that grandma has just made. The dithering in the bathroom and the hesitation to move when told to makes grandma grind her teeth.
Right now Ayla has trouble getting her self to the bathroom in time. Actually she is just plain lazy and says so. She sees nothing wrong with just letting go. I hate to admit it since I am an experience mother and grandmother but I don't know how to deal with this. I know that you shouldn't make a big deal out of it. I know that it is probably a result of being without a few of her best people. I know there must be issues behind it. Her mother and I have talked about it over and over but nothing that we have decided on has worked. I really want to paddle her behind.
The closest I come to that is a hot pink ruler. I do slap her hands with it when she is demanding and whining. "Ayla, whining?" you say. Yes, although she is so good most of the time, sometimes*&&*%&@!!@and nothing works better than the little pink ruler.

She is so smart. She and I were watching a documentary on the migration of birds. It was such a beautiful film. But there were parts that were a little boring for a child. But she watched most of it and laughed and asked intelligent questions. She even told me things that surprised me that she even knew. She told me about the great wall of China when we saw it on the film and she recognized a geyser and said at one point that those birds were flying over Canada.( Because of the snow and ice.) Also that there was a desert in California because Pop-pop and Marisa were looking for bunnies there.!!??? She learned some things too. I know that she will keep these things that she learned in her head forever because she is like that. She doesn't forget.

She knows about letters and numbers and can do a little math and read some too. She knows the difference between consonants and vowels and what they do. She loves music and singing, painting, play-dough, animals and nature. She loves throwing her arms out, twirling around and dancing.

Here is the Aylaism of the day.

She wouldn't listen and kept dancing around and talking and singing to herself. I finally had enough and took her arm and pulled her toward the car to get her in. I said "Ayla, please I have the Chinese food and my arms are full and you have to help me." She said "Okay Grandma, your right, I'm sorry I have been acting so foolish." My mood changed immediately. Totally forgiven!!!

1 comment:

Marisa said...

I love this blog! You have done an excellent job! We all love Ayla so much and this is such a great idea until we are all back together again. :) Thank you. I love you!